Monday, February 8, 2010

Get Your Greens On!


It is almost inherently known from the time we are kids that dark, green, leafy things are good for us. For years I have tried to make a priority of eating something green every day for sure, and on a good day twice or three times - that can be hard! But today while studying a lesson for my
health counselor training I was reminded of what a critical role these vegetables play in our diet.

Dark, leafy greens are good sources of: Vitamin A, Vitamin B6, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin K, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, and Potassium.

These vitamins and minerals help your body with critical functions such as:
-Vision (especially night vision)
-Tissue and bone repair
-Reproduction and fetal development
-Immune system function
-Turning our food into energy
-Regulating appetite
-Skin formation
-Fetal development
-Clotting blood
-Muscle contraction
-Carrying oxygen to our cells
-Metabolic function
-Strong bones and teeth
-Water and electrolyte balance
-And LOTS more

OK, I get it. I need to eat this stuff (yes, I would like for my skin to stay "formed" and to be able to see to drive home after a long night with friends till I'm at least 90, oh, and for my heart to keep beating - thank you very much). But honestly, there's only so much sauteed spinach I can take. So came my hunt for ways to get it good!

Here are some great recipes/ideas we've tried in order to easily incorporate more greens into our diet. These are all really yummy - let me know what you think!



1. Smoothies - I know it sounds gross, but really. Add a big handful of greens to your smoothie with frozen berries, an overripe banana, a big spoonful of full fat Greek yogurt, and organic juice and tell me it's not yummy. It doesn't even turn this green. We've been making one for breakfast or lunch almost everyday lately and I'm loving it. Also, how great does it feel to know you've begun your day with a painless serving of KALE?!

2. Pizza - add frozen (thawed) chopped spinach to your favorite homemade pizza recipe (my friend uses spelt tortillas for a quick crust for her kids). One of my favorite pizzas I've ever had was topped with kale and yogurt cheese (ooh, I can taste it now!). Similar to this.



3. This recipe for one of my favorite Indian dishes, Chicken Saagwala, includes two boxes or two bags of spinach! I make this at least once, and sometimes twice a month (of course I've tweaked it a bit, but this is a good start and hard to mess up!). It's one of Stacy's favorites served with brown Basmati rice and a dollop of whole milk Greek yogurt on top.

4. Kale Chips - Kids love them! I got my recipe from my inspirational cousin Holly (you should definatley read her blog!). This one looks good and super easy.

What's your favorite way to "get your greens on"? Let's share the blood-clotting, heart-pumping, bone-building love!

2 comments:

Angela Satterfield said...

I love this post! You have explained things you're learning in your class and given recipes at the same time. Love the title and love the info! Great pix, too!

roopaonline said...

Thanks for linking to my recipe, Amanda. I too have started to appreciate the benefits of Greek Yogurt, and think it does brilliantly. I've also turned vegetarian and use pretty much the same approach with protients and vetables other than chicken (e.g., Indian cottage cheese that's called Panner, chickpeas, or even cauliflowers.)