Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Cleaning Out

A couple of days ago Stacy and I had a lightening round with the stomach flu. Thankfully, the worst part only lasted 12 hours, but as you know, it takes DAYS to feel anything close to normal. For the past 2 days I've been surviving on bread and butter, organic apple juice, and coconut water. Exciting.

So, tonight I was ready to ease back in to the realm of normalness and real food. After being inspired by some new foodie blogs (and Michael Pollan, my fave, today on Oprah!) I started pulling veggies out of my fridge and ended up with this lovely bowl of goodness. This is the perfect base for using up what you have, so substitute any stir-fry worthy vegetables you please!



Simple, quick, healthy, easy. Plus, a one-skillet meal makes for easy cleanup. The perfect medicine for my still ailing tummy. It was adapted from this recipe on Kitchenist.

Leftover Quinoa Bowl
(serves 3-4)

1 tbsp grapeseed oil (or other neutral oil)
2 carrots, chopped
8 kohlrabi, chopped (from our CSA box, could sub parsnips, broccoli, or more greens)
1 large onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
1/2 head savoy cabbage, chopped
large handful spinach, chopped
1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
1 cup chicken broth
2 tbsp bragg's liquid aminos (or tamari, or soy sauce)
1 green onion, finely chopped

1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, kohlrabi and onion. Cook for about 3 minutes, until soft and beginning to brown.

2. Add the garlic, ginger, and liquid aminos. Cook about 30 seconds until fragrant.

3. Add the quinoa to the skillet and toast for 5 minutes or so (until the skillet starts to brown) then add the chicken broth and stir.

4. Add cabbage and spinach to the top of the quinoa mix, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer/steam for 20 minutes.

5. Remove from heat, stir and serve immediately. Garnish with green onions. (Sesame oil would be good too, but we were out!)



3 comments:

Elisa said...

Looks great, and I'm excited about YOU blogging about food and recipes!!! Keep 'em coming! And I hope you both feel a lot better.

Angela Satterfield said...

What can you tell me about grapeseed oil?

the beam team said...

I am using cold-pressed grapeseed oil (when I don't want the flavor of coconut oil) over evoo when cooking with high heat (stirfry or roasting) because it has a higher "flash-point" and doesn't breakdown as olive oil does. I have been reading that evoo looses it's great health benefits when heated above medium-low.